Thursday 22 September 2011

Keep Going - Notes from the Seaside Craft Fair

Last weekend, I took part in a craft fair at the Seaside Centre in Beach Meadows (and, I'm just getting to posting about it now - ah, such is life with small children).

I like doing craft fairs - yes, there's work to get everything ready, to set the table display up, and to pack it all up again when it's over, but I like to watch and listen as people look over my jewelry.  I get to see which pieces people just have to touch, what colors and styles are drawing their eyes, which items get the most attention.  I get to hear what metals they prefer, how dangly they like their earrings, and what items they're looking for - for themselves and for gifts for others.

My Table at Seaside

I always come away from a fair with a list of ideas I've gleaned from the shoppers - both items they've asked about and pieces inspired by some of what I saw them wearing.  At the Seaside fair, I had a few people asking about jewelry for men - something I've been thinking about for a while - so, I guess it's time to work on that.  I had a few people ask if I sold the frame displays I put together for my most popular earrings.  That's something worth thinking about, too.

The Wonderful View

Another great benefit of selling at a craft fair is the encouragement  A number of my latest pieces sold in the first hour of the sale, which is great for the pocketbook but also tells me that people are 'getting' the direction my work is going in.  I had a lovely British gentleman purchase two pairs of earrings as gifts and tell me to 'Keep going; keep at it,' as he walked away.  Encouragement like that makes the whole thing worth it.

Sneak Peek - Adam's Heart Pendants.
50% of the price of these pendants will be donated to the IWK Children's Hospital in Halifax.

No comments:

Post a Comment